In cooperation with Antrim County, Art Rapids! has created a “Walk of Art” outdoor sculpture gallery in the county’s Elk Rapids Day Park on South Bay Shore Drive. In addition to the sculptures, the park is also host to classes and workshops, concerts, and various other activities.
The concept is an extension of the organization’s mission to enhance and promote the arts in the Elk Rapids area. The Day Park comprises about 15 acres of forest, dune and a quarter mile of beach frontage along East Grand Traverse Bay on Lake Michigan. It has public rest rooms, a picnic pavilion with handicap access from a 90-car parking lot, numerous foot trails and picnic sites with charcoal grills and tables. Enhancing the Day Park with schulptures has provided another way to enjoy art and nature, made more people aware of this lovely park, and attracted more visitors to the community.
Sculptures selected by a jury will be placed on display for one to three years. A three-year maximum is intended to keep the exhibits new and interesting. Most of the sculptures are available for purchase.
The sculpture gallery opened in May of 2013 with six selected sculptures, and has expanded each year, featuring 30 pieces in 2016. The entrance to the park is marked by a commissioned sign created by Art Brown of Torch Tip Ironworks.
In 2013, Art Rapids! received the prestigious “Keep Michigan Beautiful” award for the Walk of Art project.
The “Walk of Art” is funded by private gifts, donations and MCACA grants.
- Blue Dragon by Bart Ingraham
- Blue Eyes by Bart Ingraham
- Blue Sculpture with Yellow Ring by David Petrakovitz
- Borer by Sam Soet
- Dark Matter by Steven Cannaert
- Emergence by Bart Ingraham
- Enlighten by Margot McMahon
- For Wendel Heers by Scott Lankton
- Garden Piece by Wendel Heers and Scott Lankton
- Golden Canopy by Dace Koenigsknecht
- Hardwoods II, Aspen Walker, and Drifter by Sam Soet
- I Love Michigan Cherries by Joe Lueck
- Kinderbell by Tom Kaufmann
- The Lotus by Bart Ingraham
- Major 7th by Brian Ferriby
- Mermaid Wind Machine by Dewey Blocksma
- Off Balance by Jeff Whyman
- On the Ledge by Dace Koenigsknecht
- Perch by Margot McMahon
- Reliquary by M. Lennington
- Sailfish by Michael Angelo Magnotta
- Seedpod 10 by David Greenwood
- Seek Alternate Route by David Petrakovitz
- Singing Pail of Dreams by John Goss
- Strange Roots by Michael Angelo Magnotta
- Sun Over the Red Sea by Dave Vande Vusse
- Timekeeper by Maureen Gray
- A ceramic mural created by students in the Art Rapids! 2015 summer art camp program
- Also, Crane by Arthur Lazaryan, a gift to Art Rapids! from the artist, is on display at the Elk Rapids Public Library.
- In addition, the entrance to the park is marked by a commissioned sign created by Art Brown.
- Dewey Blocksma
- Brian Ferriby
- John Goss
- Maureen Gray
- David Greenwood
- Wendel Heers and Scott Lankton
- Bart Ingraham
- Tom Kaufmann
- Dace Koenigsknecht
- M. Lennington
- Scott Lankton
- Joe Lueck
- Michael Angelo Magnotta
- Margot McMahon
- David Petrakovitz
- Sam Soet
- Dave Vande Vusse
- Jeff Whyman