In cooperation with Antrim County, Art Rapids! has created a “Walk of Art” outdoor sculpture gallery in the county’s Elk Rapids Day Park on South Bay Shore Drive. In addition to the sculptures, the park is also host to classes and workshops, concerts, and various other activities.
The concept is an extension of the organization’s mission to enhance and promote the arts in the Elk Rapids area. The Day Park comprises about 15 acres of forest, dune and a quarter mile of beach frontage along East Grand Traverse Bay on Lake Michigan. It has public rest rooms, a picnic pavilion with handicap access from a 90-car parking lot, numerous foot trails and picnic sites with charcoal grills and tables. Enhancing the Day Park with schulptures has provided another way to enjoy art and nature, made more people aware of this lovely park, and attracted more visitors to the community.
Sculptures selected by a jury will be placed on display for one to three years. A three-year maximum is intended to keep the exhibits new and interesting. Most of the sculptures are available for purchase.
The sculpture gallery opened in May of 2013 with six selected sculptures, and has expanded each year, featuring 27 pieces in 2017. The entrance to the park is marked by a commissioned sign created by Art Brown of Torch Tip Ironworks.
In 2013, Art Rapids! received the prestigious “Keep Michigan Beautiful” award for the Walk of Art project.
The “Walk of Art” is funded by private gifts, donations and MCACA grants.
Walk of Art group tours are available. Please email your request to email@example.com and someone will contact you.
- Amelia by Ritch Branstrom
- Becca Triumphs by Ann Gildner
- Blue Dragon by Bart Ingraham
- Blue Eyes by Bart Ingraham
- Blue Sculpture with Yellow Ring by David Petrakovitz
- Blue Sculpture by David Petrakovitz
- Borer by Sam Soet
- Botanical Forms by David Petrakovitz
- Dark Matter by Steven Cannaert
- Emergence by Bart Ingraham
- Flying Fish Weathervane by Dewey Blocksma
- For Wendel Heers by Scott Lankton
- Garden Piece by Wendel Heers and Scott Lankton
- Grand Traverse Bay Monolith by Leif Sporck
- Hardwoods II by Sam Soet
- I Love Michigan Cherries by Joe Lueck
- Kinderbell by Tom Kaufmann
- Major 7th by Brian Ferriby
- Millie by Ann Gildner
- Musician by Maureen Bergquist Gray
- Off Balance by Jeff Whyman
- On the Ledge by Dace Koenigsknecht
- Reliquary by M. Lennington
- Sailfish by Michael Angelo Magnotta
- Seedpod 9 by David Greenwood
- Singing Pail of Dreams by John Goss
- Strange Roots by Michael Angelo Magnotta
- Woodland Creatures created by students in the Art Rapids! 2016 summer art camp program
- Also, Crane by Arthur Lazaryan, a gift to Art Rapids! from the artist, is on display at the Elk Rapids Public Library.
- In addition, the entrance to the park is marked by a commissioned sign created by Art Brown.
- Dewey Blocksma
- Ritch Branstrom
- Brian Ferriby
- Ann Gildner
- John Goss
- Maureen Gray
- David Greenwood
- Wendel Heers and Scott Lankton
- Bart Ingraham
- Tom Kaufmann
- Dace Koenigsknecht
- M. Lennington
- Scott Lankton
- Joe Lueck
- Michael Angelo Magnotta
- David Petrakovitz
- Sam Soet
- Jeff Whyman