Student Art Scholarships
Elk Rapids Schools
Applicant must be in grades 8-12
Art Rapids! is a non-profit organization which promotes fine art and enhances the growing reputation of Elk Rapids as an art-focused community. It is our mission to enhance the arts and art education in the Elk Rapids area.
The Student Arts Scholarships will be provided up to $500 each for Elk Rapids students in grades 8-12 to take advanced instruction in a visual or performing art and/or literature.
Examples of places where a student might study a visual or performing art:
● Local Artist (e.g. private or semi-private lessons, or a class)
● Blue Lakes Fine Arts Camp
● Guest student at Northwestern Michigan College
● Interlochen Center for the Arts/Arts Camp
● College of Creative Studies/Student Portfolio Workshop
Payment of the scholarship will be made directly to the art center, to the camp or to the college. There will be three rounds of funding per year.
Deadline to submit portfolio is October 15 for round 1, January 15 for round 2, and April 15 for round 3. The completed portfolio must be signed by Ms. Anderson, High School Counselor and mailed to Art Rapids!, PO Box 301, Elk Rapids, Michigan 49629.
An application portfolio should contain:
● Completed application
● Student essay reflecting how visual or performing art and/or literature experiences have influenced you
● Letter of recommendation from a teacher in your field of study
● Copy of completed college, camp or workshop application, if applicable
● Three to five photographs of your work or a DVD of your performances
(Please check to make sure all CDs and DVDs are in working order)
Questions: Contact Art Rapids! Education Committee Chair, Nancy McRay, firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone _____________________________ Cell ______________________________
Parent or Guardiansʼ Name_______________________________________________
Age _______ Grade______ School you attend__________________GPA _________
Please check your visual or performing art area of interest:
Art___ Film___ Music – vocal___ Music – instrumental___ Dance___ Theatre___
Please list your school and community activities, years involved and leadership positions held.
Please list special honors or awards that you have received in school.
Please list your personal interests or hobbies.
Please list names, addresses and phone numbers of three references (other than relatives) with whom you are well acquainted.
Student Essay: One page, up to 300 words. Please answer the following questions in your essay.
● How have your visual or performing art and/or literature experiences influenced your interests?
● What type of class would you hope to enroll in and why?
● What do you hope to gain by taking the class or workshop?
● What is your favorite medium and why?
● Who is your favorite artist and why?
Signature of Applicant ___________________________________________________
Signature of Parent or Guardian ___________________________________________
Signature of Counselor __________________________________________________
Those students receiving scholarships will be notified at the annual Awards Ceremony.
For Art Rapids use only
Date reviewed ____A/R (circle one) Date of notification ___